(Enter through Kettering Family Education Center)
Dayton, Ohio 45409
A Taste of Dayton History!
Culp’s Café pays homage to Culp’s Cafeteria—a renowned Dayton lunchroom that specialized in home-cooked food. Housed in the legendary downtown Arcade, Culp’s was Dayton’s first restaurant to offer air conditioning, and it featured the first electric Hammond organ in the area. Open April–October, Culp’s Café at Carillon Historical Park offers delicious sandwiches, soups, salads, ice cream, and classic soda fountain favorites.
The Culp’s story dates back to 1902, when Charlotte Gilbert Culp, a young West Dayton widow, began preparing baked goods for her six children to sell door-to-door. Soon, the Culp family opened a stand at the South Main Street Market before Charlotte’s eldest son, Howard, expanded the business into the Arcade—selling poultry, eggs, cheese, and dill pickles at three lunch counters. In the 1930s, the Culps opened a full Arcade cafeteria; by the 1940s, they were serving as many as 5,000 customers a day. While Culp’s was sold in 1960, the spirit of this family-owned restaurant lives on at Carillon Historical Park.
Culp’s Café is available for private events. For more information, please call (937) 299-2277