1. Deeds Carillon
a gift of founders Colonel Edward A. and Edith Walton Deeds, is a 151-foot tower with 57 bells. One of Dayton’s best-known landmarks, Deeds Carillon plays daily automated musical selections. The Park’s internationally acclaimed carillonneur also plays original concerts throughout the year.
2. KETTERING FAMILY EDUCATION CENTER
is the first stop for all admissions and information. It houses exhibits, the Iams Education Room, administrative offices, and the Museum Store.
3. HERITAGE CENTER OF DAYTON MANUFACTURING AND ENTREPRENEURSHIP
houses an NCR cash register room with 90 Dayton-made machines, the 4-D We Progress Through Change animatronic theater, the original Deeds Barn, dozens of exhibits featuring Dayton factories and companies, and the Carousel of Dayton Innovation, a full-scale, hand-carved carousel featuring one-of-a-kind characters such as Orville Wright’s dog, a Mike-sell’s potato chip bag and a Dayton soap box derby car.
4. WATERVLIET SHAKER BUILDING (c. 1832)
is the final surviving remnant of the Watervliet Shaker community, which was located in eastern Montgomery and western Greene counties from 1806 until 1900. At its height, the utopian religious community was home to over 100 individuals. Research indicates that this building was used as a printing office for Richard McNemar, a leading Shaker author, but today it interprets the overall Dayton Shaker story.
5. LOCUST GROVE SCHOOL NO. 12 (1896)
served as a one-room schoolhouse at the corner of Possum and Bird Roads near Springfield, Ohio. Students obtained drinking water from pumps like the one located outside the school.
6. NEWCOM TAVERN (1796)
built by Robert Edgar for Colonel George Newcom, is the oldest building in Dayton. The hand-hewn log house originally stood at Main Street and Water Street (now Monument Avenue). Outside the Tavern stands a sundial originally located in Van Cleve Park and dedicated for Dayton’s Centennial celebration in 1896. The well is representative of the wells used by early settlers to obtain drinking water. Early histories state that Col. Newcom, as sheriff, would sometimes incarcerate prisoners in a dry well.
7. THE PAVILION
picnic shelter was a gift from Lee and Betsy Whitney in 2003.
8. WILLIAM MORRIS HOUSE (c. 1815)
was built of locally quarried limestone. This house originally was divided into three rooms and contained three fireplaces. The hitching post in front of the house was used to tie up horses that pulled wagons and carriages. The carriage step was used to climb aboard high carriages. Both items are made of limestone. The hitching post was originally located on the Volkenand Farm in the Walnut Hills area of Dayton, however the original location of the carriage step is unknown.
9. HETZEL SUMMER KITCHEN (1817)
served as a temporary home for early Van Buren Township resident, Peter Hetzel, and his family while their permanent home was being constructed. The building then served as a summer kitchen for many years.
10. NEWCOM HOUSE (c. 1841)
built in the Greek Revival style, was constructed on land owned by Dayton settler George Newcom. Although there is no record of any Newcom family members ever living in the building, the house interprets Dayton life in the 1840s.
11. DEEDS BARN
is a replica of Col. Edward A. Deeds’ barn, which was located behind his home at 319 Central Avenue in Dayton and served as the site for Charles Kettering and “The Barn Gang’s” invention of the electric self-starter for the automobile. The original Deeds Barn is a centerpiece of the Park’s Heritage Center of Dayton Manufacturing and Entrepreneurship.
12. DEEDS PLAZA
13. SUGAR CAMP/WAVES CABIN 22 (1934)
was formerly located on the grounds of The National Cash Register Company’s Sugar Camp training facility. This cabin was one of 60 used to house U.S. Navy WAVES as they worked on a classified code-breaking project during
14. CORLISS ENGINE BUILDING
houses the Corliss Engine that provided both electrical power and steam heat for the National Cash Register Company from 1902 to 1948.
15. THE PRINT SHOP
is a 1930s era working printing office with period equipment. It interprets an era when Dayton was home to 77 printing companies.
16. SUN OIL STATION (1924)
was formerly located at the intersection of Brown and Warren Streets in Dayton. The pumps in front of the station feature clear glass cylinders, which attendants filled with gasoline from an underground tank and then let them drain into customers’ cars. The Joyce-Cridland Automobile Lift was manufactured in Dayton by the Joyce-Cridland Company.
17. DAYTON SALES
is a representative auto sales building, housing early Dayton-made automobiles. Among them are a 1908 Stoddard-Dayton, 1910 Speedwell and a 1910 Courier.
18. THE GREAT 1913 FLOOD EXHIBIT BUILDING
houses stories and artifacts about Dayton’s worst natural disaster, including the National Cash Register locomotive, “Rubicon,” which operated as a switch engine at the factory from 1909-1961.
19. MILLER SHELTER
is dedicated to 40-year Park employee, Lloyd Miller.
20. BOWLING GREEN STATION (1894)
was originally located in Bowling Green, Ohio, and served as many as 14 freight and passenger trains daily. It contains furniture and equipment from Ohio railway stations of the period.
21. WATCHTOWER (1907)
served Dayton as a railroad watchtower from 1907 to 1976 on the corner of West Fifth Street and Broadway. An attendant manually operated railroad crossing gates from inside the tower.
22. CARILLON PARK RAIL AND STEAM SOCIETY
operates scale trains on scheduled Saturdays and during special events.
23. CALLAHAN BUILDING CLOCK (c. 1919)
is 35 feet tall with a 15-foot tall spire on top. It was originally located on the Callahan Building, later known as the Gem City Savings Building, at Third and Main Streets in downtown Dayton. From 1978 until 2006, it was located on the Reynolds and Reynolds Building near the intersection of Interstate 75 and U.S. Route 35.
24. DAYTON CYCLERY
houses the Park’s collection of rare and antique bicycles with a special emphasis on the Miami Valley’s role in bicycle evolution
25. JAMES F. DICKE FAMILY TRANSPORTATION CENTER
houses most of the Park’s historic public transportation collection: the 1835 John Quincy Adams, 1903 Summer Trolley, 1904 Kuhlman Interurban, 1923 B & O Caboose, 1903 Barney and Smith Railroad Car, 1949 Marmon-Herrington Trolley Bus and RTA Supervisor’s Booth.
26. MORRISON IRON BRIDGE (1881)
once spanned Tom’s Run on Gratis Road near Farmersville, Ohio. David Morrison, founder of the Columbia Bridge Works of Dayton, built it.
27. MIAMI AND ERIE CANAL LOCK NO. 17
is located in the original canal bed dug between 1825 and 1829 which runs through the Park. The lock, circa 1833, was first located six miles north of Dayton. While the stones are original, the gates are reproductions.
28. SMITH COVERED BRIDGE (1870)
was built by Robert W. Smith and spanned Little Sugar Creek on Feedwire Road in Greene County.
29. CANAL SUPERINTENDENT’S OFFICE (1895)
was used for collecting fees for canal use and was located between Second and Third Streets in downtown Dayton.
30. JOHN W. BERRY, SR. WRIGHT BROTHERS AVIATION CENTER
including Wright Hall and the Wright Cycle Company building, tells the story of the Wright brothers and showcases their original 1905 Wright Flyer III, the world’s first practical airplane and a National Historical Landmark. The center is one of the sites of Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park.
is representative of a gristmill and has an operating grindstone and grinding mechanism. It also serves as a residence for a Park caretaker.
32. GLACIAL SLIDE AND MORAINE EXPLORATION AREA
allows the young and young at heart to travel down a tube slide that’s 180 feet long and try their hands at working in a simulated archaeological dig site.
33. MARIE AULL SCULPTURE AND GARDEN
dedicated in 2003, pays tribute to nationally recognized conservator Marie Sturwold Aull (1897-2002) who founded Aullwood Audubon Center and Farm north of Dayton in 1957.
34. HISTORY ON THE HILL INTERPRETIVE CENTER
shares stories about the history of the land that is today Carillon Historical Park, including its geological history, its use by the prehistoric Hopewell people, and it being the location of a segment of the Miami and Erie Canal.
35. YECK PLAZA
serves as both the gateway to the Park’s History on the Hill trail system and as an outdoor programming area for educational workshops.
36. PATTERSON ADIRONDACK SHELTER (1906)
was originally constructed on NCR founder John H. Patterson’s estate, The Far Hills, in Oakwood, Ohio. Patterson, a frequent visitor to upstate New York, was particularly fond of Adirondack architecture. He used this shelter as the prototype for many similar structures he later built in Hills and Dales Park, a beautiful green space he gifted to the people of Dayton in 1907.
37. OASIS RESTROOMS
38. CULP’S CAFE
reminiscent of Culp’s Cafeteria located in downtown Dayton in the 1930s and 1940s, serves soups, sandwiches, ice cream and sodas.
39. CARILLON BREWING COMPANY
a fully operational 1850s style brewery, enjoy the sites, sounds, and smells of the brewing process as our Brewster and her assistant demonstrate mid-19th century brewing methods.