Wright Brothers Aviation Center
The John W. Berry, Sr. Wright Brothers Aviation Center has more Wright artifacts on display than any other place in the world, including the 1905 Wright Flyer III: the only airplane designated a National Historic Landmark, the first practical flying machine, and what the Wright brothers considered their most important aircraft.
Referred to as “the first pilot’s last project,” preserving the 1905 Wright Flyer III for Carillon Historical Park was Orville Wright’s last major project before he died on January 30, 1948. And while Orville died before Carillon Park was opened in 1950, he had a hand in designing Wright Hall—the building that houses the 1905 Wright Flyer III.
Adjacent to Wright Hall is Carillon Historical Park’s Wright bicycle shop—a replica of Wilbur and Orville’s fifth and final store at 1127 W. Third St. in West Dayton. In 1936, with Orville’s endorsement, Henry Ford purchased the original building, and in 1938, it was moved from 1127 W. Third Street and dedicated at Greenfield Village at The Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Michigan. Carillon Park’s cycle shop resembles how the Wright brothers’ store would have appeared between mid-October to mid-December 1901.