Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How does your pricing work?
A. Our pricing is specific to the venue you’ve selected and services you’d like included, such as any rented linens, tables, chairs, tents, or bar packages. Any rented items must be purchased through Dayton History using our partner business, Prime Time Party Rental, as linens are required on all guest and food tables. In addition, all alcoholic beverages consumed on Dayton History’s premises must be purchased through Dayton History.
Q. How do I find out what my event might cost?
A. The best way to get an estimate is to give one of our Event Coordinators a call 937-293-2841, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. One of our Event Coordinators will gladly walk you through all the services we offer, check the availability of your date, and provide you a price estimate of what you can expect for the services and type of event you have in mind.
Am I allowed to bring in my own food for my event, have someone I know cater it, or have a pot-luck style event?
A. We partner with a select few approved catering companies who do an outstanding job with service, presentation, and quality of food. These catering companies have been accepted through an application process and understand the valuable assets and intricacy at Dayton History’s properties. All food at our venues must be provided by an approved caterer.
Dayton History’s Approved Catering List 2017-2018
- Elite Catering: Elite’s motto is “We are only as good as our last event!” which translates into a team of ambitious professionals driven to out-do themselves. Elite Catering is known for providing “restaurant quality food at a catered event.” Their cuisine is a spin on the traditional, blending the innovations of the west coast with the familiar foods that the Miami Valley desires. Elite’s buffet and food presentation is unmatched in the Dayton area, and the maintain a vast inventory of décor and unique props to create memorable presentations and interactive food stations. They design around each client to bring a touch of their personality of theme into the presentation or event.
- Kohler Catering: Kohler Catering is one of the premier catering firms in the entire Dayton area, and they are the preferred caterers at many off premise venues. With over 40 years of experience in the business and the highest standards of excellence for every event, they can provide you menu choices for every budget and every occasion. They use the finest quality ingredients, offer creative presentation, and deliver impeccable service. Kohler Catering receives rave reviews for their signature presentations and cuisine that exceed guests’ expectations. Whatever your occasion may be, their staff will help you have a very successful party and help you stay within a budget.
- Brock Masterson’s: Since 1986, Brock Masterson’s has made your life easier when planning anything involving food and guests. We sit down with each client and customize a menu for your occasion. Whether a dinner party with friends, showers, graduations, office parties, fundraisers, corporate events, a birthday or anniversary, Brock Masterson’s great food, creativity, service and flexibility offers an experience that is uniquely yours.
Rick or Tracy
- Christopher’s Catering: For more than two decades, Christopher’s Restaurant has been a Miami Valley dining mainstay, providing both traditional and innovative fare at reasonable prices. From classic American staples to world fusion and authentic ethnic dishes, the eclectic menu at Christopher’s is designed to accommodate any palate, dietary preference, or budget. Christopher’s is pleased to offer naturally raised beef, organic salmon, local free range eggs, fair trade organic coffee and teas, and numerous vegetarian and vegan options. Christopher’s catering staff has earned a reputation for providing exceptional food and service, custom tailored to meet the demands or limitations of any event budget.
Q. Can we do any decorating ourselves?
A. All rented items for the event must be rented by a Dayton History Event Coordinator using Prime Time Party Rental. Because many of Dayton History’s venues are open to the public during normal business hours, there is a limited set-up time available prior to events. Our set typically begins two hours prior to the event. Our team will set the tables, chairs and anything rented by Prime Time Party Rental. Any additional setup is the client/vendor’s responsibility. We typically recommend trusting a florist to manage and set up your decorations, and we’re more than happy to recommend some great vendors to help.
Q. How many people can be seated at your venues?
A. We are creative, flexible, and willing to work with you no matter what size of event you’re planning, so please call to talk through other options if your number doesn’t seem to be ideal for our venues.Below is the recommended capacities for our venues:
- James F. Dicke Family Transportation Center – 120 guests
- Kettering Family Education Center Atrium – 130 guests
- Deeds Carillon – vast outdoor space – 150 guests
- Carillon Event Lawn – vast outdoor space
- Miller Picnic Pavilion – 40 guests
- Whitney Picnic Pavilion – 80 guests
- Memorial Hall – 250 guests
- Old Court House – 100 guests
- Patterson Homestead – 80 guests
- Hawthorn Hill – 50 guests
Q. Can I get married & have my reception at your venue?
A. Absolutely! We have many options for ceremonies as well as receptions. We also have numerous wedding ceremonies on the Town Greene with the reception in the Kettering Family Education Center. Memorial Hall also offers a great option for a ceremony in the grand marble entrance atrium with the reception in the lower level banquet room. In some circumstances where the wedding ceremony takes place in the exact same room as the reception (such as a ceremony and reception at the Old Court House), we typically have the room set for the ceremony as it will be for the reception (guests seated at round tables.) Check our Pinterest page for pictures of wedding ceremonies receptions that have taken place at our venues in the past.
Q. How much time do I receive with my rental?
A. Most of our event rental blocks are for a five hour event. We usually begin setting for the event two hours prior to the event’s start. It is also an option to purchase additional hours to extend your event. For wedding ceremonies, you will receive a one hour rental for your rehearsal the day before and a two hour event block the day of. If you’d like to additional time for photographs or decorations, you are welcome to do so for an additional fee at the time of your booking.
Q. What other services do you offer other than the event venue?
A. In addition to providing all the rented items through the use of Prime Time Party Rental, our Event Coordinators are happy to assist you through the planning process from details such as picking out your linen colors and recommending great vendors for your entertainment. We set up and tear down all of the tables, chairs and linens for our events, and we provide you with a staff “Captain” who will be at your event from start to finish. Dayton History also offers several different bar packages available for you to choose from for your event.