Carillon Bell Tower During Construction, ca. 1940 to 1942
The first structure built by the then newly formed Educational and Musical Arts, Inc. is the park’s namesake, the Deeds Carillon. Inspired by the historic bell towers Edith Walton Deeds saw during her travels throughout Europe, Dayton’s carillon was originally outfitted with 32 bells, with the largest bell having a diameter of 6 feet. From the terrace, the height of the bell tower stretches over 151 feet into the air and is constructed primarily of Indiana limestone. Deeds Carillon was renovated in 1988, when it was converted to a traditional, mechanical carillon from an electric system. The original chandelier design of the bells was converted to the configuration that can be seen today with a total of 57 bells. On Easter Sunday in 1942, after two long years under construction or the original tower, the carillon bells rang out as the first concert was played by Colonel Edward A. Deeds’ wife, Edith. With this performance, Mrs. Deeds began a long standing tradition that Dayton History carillonneurs continue to this day. This photo is from Dayton History’s Image Collection.
To see other historical images from our collection, search our Digital Photo Archive.